SINGULAR DEPOSITS IN GIRD LASHKIR (ERBIL, IRAQI KURDISTAN) AT THE BEGINNING OF THE EARLY BRONZE AGE
Gómez-Bach, A.; Breu, A.; Sisa, J.; Mylona, P.; Bradosty, Z.; Zebari, A.; Molist, M.
* SAPPO/GRAMPO-UAB, Dept. Prehistoria. Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona (Spain)
This paper will address the study of two sets of unique objects (a set of clay figurines and paleometallurgical objects) discovered in habitat stratigraphic contexts in the excavations of Gird Lashkir (Erbil, Iraqi Kurdistan). The analysis of the material assemblage, and their stratigraphic location in closed contexts, often called “closed deposits”, allows us to research their origin, formation, and social function. A set of singular materials were recovered from floors and pits which had been intentionally refilled. The presence of these materials in domestic areas, courtyards and negative structures appeared together with pottery, grinding stones, faunal remains and other domestic debris.
To address this topic, this contribution will cover the presence of utilitarian and figurative objects across the stratigraphic sequence at sector 3, which corresponds with an open-air area with artisanal and domestic uses inhabited at the dawn of the first empires. To this end, singular artefacts recovered from the Ninevite V horizon will be fully characterized. Specifically, a mould associated with paleometallurgic activities and a significant set of quadruped figurines (bovid, caprines) were found together. Moreover, a vehicle model and a horse figurine were buried in the same architectonic phase. The characteristics and archaeological contexts of symbolic artefacts from other sites in the region that developed the Ninevite V horizon have been used to better understand the assemblage found in Gird Lashkir.
These singular deposits will help improve the available knowledge about the Early Bronze Age in the Upper Mesopotamia.
Childe, V. G.
- The diffusion of wheeled vehicles, Ethnographisch-archäelogische Foreschungen, 2: 1-17.
Gómez, A., Bradosty, Z., Zebari, A.M., Ahmed, H., Cruells, W., Sisa, J.; Moya, A., Breu, A. et Molist, M.
- Gird Lashkir (Erbil): Preliminary data related to Ninevite V period: 2016 and 2017 fieldwork excavations 2nd International Scientific Conference Archaeology and Heritage of Erbil: 331-345.
- Ninevite 5 Ceramics. Arcane Interregional I: Ceramics, Chapter: 4. Publisher: Brepols: 83-100.
Kopanias, K. et MacGinnis, J. (eds)
- The Archaeology of the Kurdistan Region of Iraq and Adjacent Regions. Oxford Archaeopress.
Molist, M., Gómez, A., Bradosty, Z., Anfruns, J., Cruells, W., Alcàntara, R., Arnaiz, R., Breu, A., Moya, A., Sisa, J., Zebari, A. Ahmed, H.
2018 Proyecto Arqueológico en Gird Lashkir (Erbil, Kurdistan Iraq): resultado de las campañas de excavación 2015- 2016. Informes y Trabajos, Ministerio de Educación, Cultura y Deporte.
- The Prehistoric Sondage at Nineveh 1931-1932. Annals of Archaeology and Antrhopology, 20:127-177.
- Equid figurines and Chariot Models. Nagar in the Third Millennium BC, Excavations at Tell Brak, 2, British School of Archaeology in Iraq, London: 279-293.
- Making Images of Humans and Animals. The Clay Figurines from the Royal Palace G at Tell Mardikh-Ebra, Syrie, EB IVA, 2400-2300 BC). Proceedings of the 5th International Congress on the Archaeology of the Ancient Near East, vol II, Madrid: 787-805.
Peyronel, L. and Pruß, A.
- Animal Figurines. Lebeau, M. (ed.) Arcane, Associated Regional Chronologies for the Ancient Near East and the Eastern Mediterranean. Interregional Vol. II, Artefacts, Brepols: 85-106.
- «Model Vehicles» Lebeau, M. (ed.) Arcane, Associated Regional Chronologies for the Ancient Near East and the Eastern Mediterranean. Interregional Vol. II,Artefacts, Brepols: 173-192.
- Chariot terracota models from Tell Arbid, Polish Archaeology in the Mediterranean, 21: 606-623.
- Wagons on the move: The study of wagons through landscape archaeology. Quaternary International, 312: 12-26.
- Ninive-5-Kultur, Reallexikon der Assyriologie9: 434–439.
- Distribution and Chronology of the Nineveh 5 Pottery and of its Culture. Contributi e Materiali di Archeologia Orientale 2, Roma.
- The III millennium Pottery Morphology, The typologies principles the Coding System and some Preliminary results. The origin of the North Mesopotamia Civlisation: Ninevite 5, Chronology, Economy and Society, Subartu X: 395-489.
- The Ninevite 5 Period in Northeast Syria, Archéologie et Histoire de la Syrie I.Band 1,1. Harrassowitz Verlag Wiesbaden: 107-118.
- The Ninevite V Period and the Development of Complex Society in Northern Mesopotamia. Paléorient 13/2:93–100.
- Excavations at Tepe Gawra, vol I, Levels I-VIII.University of Pensilvania press.